ArtsCommon 118 is a flagship project that will transform Edmonton’s Alberta Avenue district – a neighbourhood that has struggled with inner-city challenges and is now in the process of renewal. The project will be constructed on parcels of land on either side of 92nd Street on the south side of 118th Avenue.
ArtsCommon 118 is a response to the needs and aspirations of the community by building on the successful use of the arts as a life-affirming way to transcend disadvantage, foster economic vibrancy, and build social inclusion.
Through a partnership between the Edmonton Community Development Company (ECDC) and Arts on the Ave (AOTA) and with attention paid to community consultations about design and programming, ArtsCommon 118 is a community driven, mixed-use, social-purpose economic development initiative that integrates:
- 78 affordable live-work studios for artists;
- two floors of market space for artists and other local businesses;
- a community arts coffee shop as the district’s arts and culture and community-building hive;
- performance, exhibition, and collaborative spaces for up to 200 people;
- social enterprise development and job creation;
- urban, roof-top farming in a partnership with Northlands;
- free instruction and instruments to disadvantaged youth and
seniors via the Sarah McLachlan School of Music (SMSoM);
- a 2,000 square foot industrial kitchen to foster social enterprise,
encourage community use, and meet the needs of the Carrot Community Coffee House;
- office and program space for non-profits;
- the marriage of economic and social inclusion goals (e.g. farmers and night markets);
- a desire to build green infrastructure (i.e. net zero); and
- operational sustainability.
Impacts include: economic benefits to low income artists living and working in one space and selling their work; affordable space for artists and performers, as well as community members, to hold exhibitions, events and shows; increased consumer spending and jobs; the development of micro and social enterprise; free programming for disadvantaged populations; and net zero design.
Project Facts and Status
- ArtsCommon 118 is envisioned as two four-storey buildings – total square footage: 90,000
- Land is secured. The City of Edmonton has provided six lots of land; the ECDC has purchased five additional lots.
- Early city funding of $4 million is in the bank.
- In discussions with SMSoM and Northlands about possible roles for them.
- Initial design concepts are in place, in team with Manasc Isaac Architects.
- Further engagement is occurring in August through November 2018. The ArtsCommon 118 Community Party and Engagement Event took place on August 29th (our engagement report is HERE). As well we have a booth at Kaleido and will be undertaking focus groups with artists and other stakeholders.
- Capital Funding is being sought from all levels of government
- Anticipated open date: Fall 2021
View from the South East – Summer Perspective
View from the South East – Winter Perspective